Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Reconstructed: Dress To A Skirt

Here's a dress that I thrifted this past weekend, but it was too big and had a halter top. I knew it could be altered without much trouble. (The white cotton crocheted cardigan is another thrift find for $4.00) Here's the dress print up close:
Cheery blue and green butterflies - perfect for spring!

I started by ripping out the seams on the side zipper, then I cut the skirt away from the bodice. I finished up the side seam (where the zipper used to be) then made a simple casing for 3/4" elastic.

If you're doing a waistband for yourself, take your waist measurement, subtract 2.5", then cut your elastic. Thread your elastic through the casing with a safety pin attatched to the front of the elastic (sort of like a mock needle and thread). It took even less time than I expected.

The inspiration for this dress purchase came from a butterfly-print scarf I've been eyeballing at Land's End in Sears. It's $29.50 here.
So when I came upon the butterfly dress for $5.25, I figured that I could make my own scarf. Then I fell in love with idea of a spring skirt. It seems that I got something better for less!

9 comments:

casch said...

This is so adorable and springy! Good job~you are like your Grandma. Maybe she reaches you through her sewing machine.

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

That was definitely meant to be a skirt - great job!!

Danielle said...

Very cute! Love the little butterflies! I made a skirt today too:-)

Rebecca said...

I love it! I need to start doing more sewing. I'm just so afraid, LOL.

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! Now I feel like a moron for passing up a dress I saw a couple weeks ago ... Doh!

java girl said...

Diane,

What a lovely skirt!! I love the butterflies :O)

I just have to say that this post might have helped/saved my vintage bedsheet skirt. I didn't know that you should subtract
2.5" off the size of your waist to get it to fit right.... I might just have to take another "hack" at my skirt... it's hanging on the back of my bedroom door taunting me right now ;O)

Missa said...

Oh, it's so much better as a skirt and perfect for Spring! That's really amazing how similar the two prints are. Adorable with the white cardi too :)

Patty said...

I want to be just like you when I grow up. :)

Sarah and Jack said...

This is a fabulous reconstruction!

Related Posts with Thumbnails