This chair belonged to my mother. She had it back in the 70's, when brass and gold velveteen were magical. At least I thought so as a kid. Mom gave me the chair because I couldn't bear for her to throw it out.
My original goal was a sunny yellow spray painted chair with a gray and white reupholstered seat cushion. First, I primed the chair gray. Then, I stopped and stared. It was perfect.
After some searching, I found the yellow and white polka dot linen fabric at this etsy shop. Next, I pulled together some yellow piping with thrifted bias tape and string.
Insert string and stitch.
Then, I pinned the dickens out of the two pieces of fabric with the piping sandwiched in between.
With a little help from my staple gun, the chair is complete. It reminded me of...
The chair is going into our master bedroom, which has been a gray-and-yellow work in progress since January. This was my first attempt at reupholstery (start small!) and sewing piping. I couldn't be happier with the results!
Since my daughter and baby son share a room, I decided on a forest theme for their room. All the walls are white (we're in a rental) the furniture is white, but there are green and brown accents with deer, polka dots and some stripes.
Henry needed to look at something more interesting. So, about a month ago, I started working on these felt forest friends. Five minutes here and ten minutes there... it's finally complete.
First, I freehand cut out some woodsy shapes (two of each). Then I started stitching. I left a small opening to stuff with felt scraps before I stitched these mini-pillows closed.
Next, I assembled the rest of the mobile supplies: a thrifted embroidery hoop, some ribbon and a D-ring from an unused belt.
Finally, I stitched the small ribbon to the tops of the creatures and tied them to the hoop. The brown polka-dotted ribbon was wrapped around the hoop to cover the bare wood. I cut three strips of ribbon to hang the mobile, folded the top ends over the D-ring and stitched in place.