Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pink Tutu: A How-To

For the longest time, I've wanted to use Plumtickled's Tutu Tutorial to make Charlotte a tutu. Now I can cross it off my list. It's really quite simple. But, for those of you who don't like to click over, I am showing you the step's that I learned from Plumtickled.
First, get some non-roll elastic (3/4" or 1") and two spools of tulle: 6 inches wide x 25 yards. (For one tutu, I did all pink. For another, I used lavender and dark purple alternated.)

Measure the length that you want the tutu skirt. Double it and cut the spooled tulle into strips of equal lengths. (Example: I wanted a 12" skirt, so I cut 24" strips.)
Measure your girl's waist (or your own!) and subtract 2.5"-3". Next, cut your non-roll elastic to size. Zig zag stitch the two ends together to form the waistband. (This can even be done quickly by hand.)

Place elastic band over your thigh. (Great for holding everything in place.) Slide a strip under the band and tie in a knot. Repeat.
Solid colors, two-toned or multi colors all look great. This is an easy and inexpensive, quick Princess-pink-me-up for any girl! These are also perfect for last minute birthday gifts.

7 comments:

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

Super cute!

Danielle said...

I love it! They look nice and full! I don't think I could talk my boys into wearing it...wait, I wouldn't want them wearing it, but my niece would love it!

casch said...

Oh my this is too adorable! Your model is adorable too! I'll bet she loves it~and after all "Mama sew it!"
Great job.

java girl said...

Diane,

I am SO going to make my little butterfly one of those! That is just too cute not too!! I love how fluffy it turned out!!! Maybe I could do a soft pink and a HOT pink :O) I'm going to add it to my list of craft projects. I think I will put it at the top of the list because this looks easy enough to do quickly :O)

Thank you for another inspirational craft post!!

God bless you and your darling girl!!

Grandma Shelley said...

Diane
That is simply darling! I am going to make a couple of those for the little grandgirls at Louis' house. They will love them!

Jenny said...

What a great tutorial! I needed it about 2 years ago. I tried to make one, but just gave up. The tulle is still downstairs stuffed in a bag.

Katie Trott said...

I just got home from Denio's today, and bought my $2. roll of tule!!

Thanks for the fun idea Diane :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails