Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ding! The Soap's Ready!

My soap strongly resembles butter. Mmmmm, buuuuutter. Anyway, my homemade peppermint soap is done curing. The results are in: we all came out squeaky clean.

Drawbacks:
- Not pepperminty enough as I didn't have enough essential oil. They have just a hint of peppermint fragrance to them, but they still smell very clean.
- The soap was cut to brick size. Ok, half a brick. But trust me, if this was the old west and the whole town only had one of my bars of soap, they'd all get clean.
- They take 4 weeks to cure.

Advantages:
- We have enough soap for the whole year (and maybe next year too.)
- The soap feels wonderful: not too lotion-y, but also doesn't strip our skin.
- Great lather. No sulfates!
- Cost effective.
- Self-sufficiency satisfaction.

Hands down, we love our soap. If I can do this, you can do this too. Best resource book: The Soapmaker's Companion.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Yipeee! I am so trying this!

casch said...

You are just SO clever! Good job. sounds as though it would be a great gift. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails