Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Read It


After seeing so many great books for Vintage Thingies Thursday, sponsored by The Apron Queen, I decided to join the book club and find my own classic to post. Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte, appeared in my hands at a yard sale this last saturday.Feeling like my sweaty palms would burn a hole in the book, I tried to walk calmly towards the homeowner to inquire after the price. As I approached, an apron caught my eye. Without missing a step, it too was in my clutches. The woman saw me coming and offered the apron at 25 cents. Done. I'll take it. "And how much for this book?" I questioned. "Oh, you can just HAVE that." she replied. Yes, my mouth was ajar too.
So, my classic copy of Wuthering Heights from 1943 was free at a yard sale. It's a small victory of sorts, when you set out to find a very specific treasure and then it becomes a reality. Now if I could just stumble across a winning lottory ticket...

27 comments:

marianedwardsdreamweaver said...

WOW great find and a great book..love it!!

Amy said...

ooh Wuthering Heights- that's one of my favourite books - great find!

Sarah C. said...

Ooooh, I love it! (I must do a book post as well!)

Carrie said...

Wonderful yard sale finds!

casch said...

I love the "new" book! And what a good deal! If you get that winning lottery ticket, I would be happy to split it with you!

Enjoy the book and/or the deal!

Coloradolady said...

What a deal....you can not beat shopping like that. The book is great....and the price was right!

Fiona said...

Lucky you! How lovely to have such a good edition! And an apron for 25c too!

Elizabeth said...

Shall we call you a bandit? You sure made out like one at that yard sale! Great find!

Grandma Faith said...

I enjoyed hearing about your treasure hunting. That's a great vintage book. Well done!

ellen b said...

The illustrations look wonderful in your great steal! I love it when I find a specific treasure...
Have a great thursday!

mub said...

Free always makes the victory that much greater, doesn't it! I was looking at your earlier posts and your Matryoshka dolls are absolutely darling =D

Eileen said...

NO WAY!! You got it for FREE??? Can't beat that!

Jamie @ Baldwin Bungalow said...

I'm a sucker for vintage books. I L-O-V-E the cover of that book! Where are you going to display it? GREAT find!

Charlotte said...

Wowee wowee wowee. That was your lucky day!

Jewelgirl said...

What a great find a vintage book
and free. You were in the right place
at the right time....enjoy!

Teeny Tiny cabin said...

Great find and a great classic!
Blessings to You!
Claudia O.

marybt said...

Well, where's the apron?! The book is great and that's awesome that she just gave it to you!

Julie T said...

I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said...love that great cover on Wuthering Heights! Such a dramatic shot of Heathcliff. Why don't books have covers like that anymore?

Jennifer said...

How lucky were you??? I love yard sales like that!

marychild said...

How was the craft fair?

Rebecca said...

Great find!! My favorite vintage book find is a copy of Alice in Wonderland from 1944. I'm in search of a few other editions :)

Patty said...

You totally scored!! (Are you going to share the apron?)

Virginia said...

What a great find!

Missa said...

Awesome! I love it when that happens :D

Vintage Mommy said...

I can't imagine anything more exciting than finding an old book (and a good one, at that!), in good condition for FREE at a yard sale!

Way to go!

lera said...

Your posts are showing up in bloglines for some strange reason.

Score on the book! I just bought an apron yesterday for 50 cents that is cute.

Marie said...

Great find! I sold this same book last year on ebay for $20!

Related Posts with Thumbnails