Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Camoflage Hat

I just finished my first crocheted hat. It's snuggly warm, has a cute flower and is considered camoflage because it's the exact same color as my hair. I guess my hair will now just look nubby and like I wove part of it into a flower...

The pattern was purchased from JJCrochet via etsy. It's a versatile hat pattern because one can make a beanie with or without a flower. Or one can make a beanie with a brim or without. For yarn, I used Patons Shetland Chunky Tweed in Earthy Brown. I'm really all about the speckles.

For me, this was a challenge because I'm new-ish to crocheting. You'll see that I'm beaming because I only had to rip out rows of stitches 7 different times. That was after completing 1/4 of the hat incorrectly and starting over from scratch. The flower within the pattern was a total failure for moi, and searching for another flower in the perfect size was fruitless. I just made one up.

Special thanks to my aunt for coming out from Pennsylvania to show me how to properly hold my crochet hook. (Now it makes sense!) I'm looking forward to having "hat hair" from keeping warm in my chunky, tweedy, speckley crocheted hat.

7 comments:

Danielle said...

I love it Diane! I have no clue how to knit or crochet...maybe someday I'll learn!

I had to laugh when you said it was the same color as your hair...it looks purpleish on my screen:-)

Anonymous said...

I love how you made the flower. Break the rules! It turned out so cute. Are you going to make a scarfe to match?

Anonymous said...

Your hat turned out AWESOME, Diane! It's BEAUTIFUL! I don't believe you when you say you're a beginner crocheter - this hat looks like an experienced crocheter made it. I'm so glad you liked the pattern...careful, though - this hat can be addicting. :)

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

It looks purplish on my screen too, but I know it's brown and adorable. You did a good job and your aunt did a good job coaching you! Good improvising too.

Jenny said...

I see purple too! ;)

Great job!!!

Mir said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE IT!! The color, style and embellishment (flower) are adorable!!

Patty said...

I love it too! It's so cute. Now please send your aunt my way to show me how to hold a hook.

Related Posts with Thumbnails