Monday, August 11, 2008

Sweet & Sour Watermelon Salad

This refreshing summer salad recipe appeared in our local paper (The Sacramento Bee) last week. Thanks to my mom for recycling her newspapers to me. The salad was quick and easy, we had all the ingredients and served chilled, it really hit the spot. My only suggestion is to save it for after dinner as a type of dessert salad. Yum.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar (or stevia to taste)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds (we omitted these)
salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch of scallions, trimmed and chopped
3 cups seedless watermelon, cut into chunks
1-2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced

Combine all ingredients, except cucmbers and watermelons. Place cucumbers and watermelon in a serving bowl, pour marinade over the top. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for an hour before serving. Toss gently before serving.

4 comments:

Mary Child said...

I'm not a fan of watermelon, so I don't think I'll be eating any. It is a pretty salad though; maybe I could make it for a potluck!

Anonymous said...

I saw this recipe and thought it was quite interesting. Glad to see you tried it and gave it a good review. Sounds as though you think it would be a very refreshing picnic dessert. I want to try it now, or you could save me some!

Unknown said...

Ooo, that sounds great! Cider vinegar, stevia and watermelon, all super good for you too - I'll have to try it!

My mom has been saving the Taste section for me for years, LOL! Great minds...

We found some actual leaf stevia in a tea shop in Chinatown (SF). We brought home a bag full, it makes a yummy tea!

Dy said...

Diane,
It sounds right up my ally. Quick, easy and it looks good. Thanks for sharing, I'll try it.
Love.

Related Posts with Thumbnails