Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Make Your Own Lightbox

Which picture do you like better? Bavarian coffeepot #1...

...or Bavarian coffeepot #2?

Of course, #2 looks muuuuch better because of my recently built lightbox. I was tired of my sad looking pictures. Too dark... sometimes fuzzy... and just all around drab. The pictures just weren't doing any justice to our newly inherited coffeepot from Grandma. I don't have white balance on my camera and was often frustrated with how colors showed up. Then I read this on Photojojo. There's a link to make your own lightbox (softbox, macrostudio, etc.) So, I found a trusty 18" cardboard box and began cutting away 3 of the sides. Cut out a square about 2" in from the edges for stability. Next, I used scotch tape to secure tissue paper covering the 3 sides. Then, I placed a trimmed piece of white posterboard in the back for a seamless backdrop. Because I don't have powerful lighting, I had to place lights on all 3 sides of the tissue-papered walls. Voila! Picture taking has never turned out so well for me.
Now, I just need a lightbox to take pictures of my new lightbox...

3 comments:

G. R. said...

Great job, Diane, the light box will be a valuable tool and I can see it has improved your images already.

Mir said...

Wow Diane! It makes a bigger difference than I thought! Your second photo is fabulous!! Alright ... I am making one - look for better images in my blog too, thanks to you!

Mary Child said...

Diane, this is SO COOL! I wondered what all those "fabulous photograph" people were using for backdrops; now I know they were using lightboxes... AMAZING! Thanks for posting how to make one. I don't know how soon I'll get around to making my own, but it's very cool! I am impressed, AGAIN!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails