Friday, August 22, 2008

Meet Svetlana

My latest endevor has been doll-making. The shrinky matryoshkas were tiny, the japanese fabric matties were small, the three sisters were medium and now I've made a large, huggable matryoshka. Let's call her Svetlana. I have a feeling that she has friends. And they're probably on their way to being created very soon.

It took three muslin patterns to get the right shape and size. And by 'the right size' I mean the one that I had in my head. This is how is always goes. It started with my mom thrifting a banker's box full of fabric for $2.00. This fabric was in there. A lot of it. And I love it! (Thanks, Ma.) I just knew what I had to make.

She is about 12 inches in height and 6 inches wide. Her face is made with wool felt from Wool Felt Central and my hand embroidery. Then I added a wool felt flower button to her eyelet scarf and matryo-presto, there she was!

She's very huggable. I should know, because since finishing her, I've smothered her with joyful hugs at least 7 or 8 times. I'm so happy!

7 comments:

Mary Child said...

Wow Diane, you've got the doll making down to a science now! I'm envious of your ability to prioritize your time so well; I don't spend nearly enough time for scrapbooking...

When are you going to start selling your adorable little creations? I bet I'll see you on Oprah in two years when you've sold 500,000 of 'em and you're ready to incorporate!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Diane!! She is lovely and how special you used the "special" fabric!! I love her and I'll just betcha Swee' Pea does too! Great job! I'm always so proud of your work and your ideas!! I know how you "design in your head" and then proceed to bring it to fruition! GREAT job!

Anonymous said...

. . .and she looks even better in person! She is quite lovely and I know she will not be alone for long!

Jenny said...

She's beautiful! I love how you name them. :)

Mir said...

I totally love her Diane. I have come back and looked at her several times now and I just don't know how to express how much I just love her. I especially like the way you positioned the body fabric so the pattern is asymmetrical - such a lovely touch to balance out the bow.

Anonymous said...

I love your dolls! I've set up an Etsy account......hopefully I'll be a customer soon!

Charlie said...

Hi thanks for postinng this

Related Posts with Thumbnails