Sunday, January 25, 2009

Barbasol Beware

There's a new shaving cream in town. It's homemade. Razor burn is now a distant memory...

My dear H suffers from razor burn (even with a beard, he still shaves his neck) and so I set out to find a fix. I wanted a sulfate-free, great smelling, razor-burn-reducing and cost effective recipe. I stumbled upon this site and with a few adjustments to their recipe, I gave it a go.

Here's my recipe:
4 oz. Dr. Bronner's eucalyptus castile soap - grated
4 oz. water
Combine grated soap and water, let sit overnight. It will look like small curd cottage cheese in the a.m.

1 oz of cocoa butter
1 tblsp of shea butter
2 oz liquid glycerin
Heat on low until everything is melted. Remove from heat. Add the soap mixture and blend until creamy. (At first,I thought that I did this part all wrong because it turned out "soupy" but it firmed up nicely in a few hours.)

Add 20-25 drops of peppermint essential oil.
Mix again. Pour into jar.

H is happy to report no more razor burn. (He did say that just after shaving, he felt it stinging a bit, but that is due to the eucalyptus being an antiseptic and closing up those pores. It doesn't last long.) A little bit goes a long way and the jar should last us, oh, probably the rest of the year. It's very thick and leaves your skin waaaaay soft. Love it!

2 comments:

casch said...

You are a good wife! and thrifty, too. I wouldn't even have thought about making something like this. It's a great idea!

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

I envy your Susie Homemaker-esque qualities. You rock! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails