Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Birthday Part 2: Gnome Forest Terrariums

For Charlotte's 2nd birthday party, continuing in the Gnome Forest theme, I made terrariums as party favors. Everyone was able to keep a little piece of gnome magic by bringing home a tiny perfect world of their own.

Parts: I used gnome, deer and mushroom cupcake toppers from this etsy shop. The glass containers were found at Ikea. (I tried to thrift some, but came up empty handed.) The soil, rocks and baby tears were found at my local Lowe's. Activated charcoal - or carbon - was available at the pet store.
Assembly: First layer, at the bottom, is pebbles for drainage. Next comes the charcoal (for enclosed terrariums to filter water and air). Thirdly, spaghum moss keeps the soil from slipping. Now your soil, and finally, your plants. This site has a wonderful plant list, but I found most items were out of season. We settled on a flat of baby tears.

Care: The baby tears have already grown and are easy to pinch back. The terrariums are pretty much self-sustaining. They require only a little watering every 2-4 weeks. If there is too much condensation, just pop open the lid. When the soil starts to look dry or cracked, add some water. That's it!

For a wonderfully visual step-by-step tutorial on terrariums, you'll want to visit Pretty Little Things.
Thanks to my dear friend, Julie, for her wonderful photography. It is well worth hiring a professional to take all the candid shots while you enjoy your child's party. If you're local in northern California, I highly recommend Julie (contact me for her email address.) Here's her much better shot of my gnome army of cupcakes...

10 comments:

casch said...

It is such a wonderful idea and such a pleasant gift. I know how pressed for time you must have been. They are delightful! You are quite thoughtful.

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

What a cute idea! You're so creative! My brother-in-law thinks gnomes are awesome but his wife (my sister) detests them. So for Christmas, my mom bought my brother-in-law a Cubs gnome (my BIL is a Cubs fan). It was hilarious. Anyway, I love your gnome garden idea!

Missa said...

Happy Birthday to Charlotte! Two years old, my gosh they do grow so quickly don't they?!

How lucky she is to have a mommy who throws her gnome forest birthday parties complete with cupcakes AND awesome terrariums, how fun! I want you to plan MY next birthday party Diane!

Speaking of terrariums, I need to get started on mine, I love the cupcake topper idea :)

Danielle said...

So cute! Love the terrariums also! Very creative idea!

Rosie the Cat said...

I am SO gonna make a terrarium. I have a little Han Solo action figure I might pair with a bunny, or a gnome...or a mushroom, gargoyle...

G. R. said...

We love our Gnome forest, and we love our granddaughter, Miss C. It was a very lovely birthday party, but my how she has grown in this past year.

Jenny said...

You did SUCH a great job with this party!

Anonymous said...

This is such a cute party! Don't you just love pretty little things site, It is so cute.

How did you come up with a gnome theme? And your skirt turned out so perfect too! Congratulations!!

lori marie said...

super duper cute!

i need to make a gnome series for myself :)

smiles
lori

LeeAnn said...

You have such a cute blog. I went and checked out your etsy store because I saw you had hearted my etsy store. Then found your blog and I have been reading ever since. I need to make a few terrariums so they mature in time for gift giving. The gnomes is a very cute idea.

Related Posts with Thumbnails