Thursday, March 11, 2010

Gray Linen Shirt To Pillow

This is my new gray linen/cotton blend pillow accessorized with a yellow wool felt flower. It started out as a .55 cent thrifted shirt...
I already had a pillow form measuring 18 inches. So, I cut out my shirt...
with a 1/2" seam allowance on each side. Next, I sewed my seam, then zig-zagged for durability.
I cut out 7 circles in varying diameters - averaging 3.5 inches across. (Idea from here.)
Next, I pinched the felt together and stitched the bottom of my "scrunch".
I repeated for each circle, then placed all my scrunched circles together and stitched those together to form my flower.

Lastly, I safety-pinned the flower to my pillow (easily removed for washing).

The best part is actually the back of the pillow, which could be the front too. It's easily unbuttoned to remove the pillow case for washing!
The whole project cost me less than $1 for new materials. Love it!

5 comments:

Grandma Shelley said...

Diane, you are so clever! I love this idea! How darling.

Danielle said...

Very Nice! I have been wanting to try this as well... I did make a sweater pillow that I just LOVE! Very cozy! 55 cents is a steal...love linen!

Kristi said...

I love it! I enjoy doing the very same thing. I once found curtains at the thrift store for next to nothing. They were the display models that the store's hang next to the pakages of curtians...they look just the ones they are selling, but not as wide?. I used them to make pillows for the bench my husband made me in the dinning room. They looked incredible, and the total cost was under $2. So fun!

casch said...

I can't decide which side I like the best! I do remember the shirt, too! Great job!

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

So beautiful! I love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails